Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau
On May 1st, 2005 Tanabe City amalgamated with 4 rural municipalities to create the largest city in area in this part of Japan (1026 square km, population of 84,000). Each area still has their local Tourism Association, but to promote the newly enlarged city in its entirety, on April 1, 2006, the Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau was formed.
Our goal is to make quality information available for independent travelers and small groups to safely and efficiently travel through this unique part of the world and to experience all of the wonders it has to offer along the way. By focusing on low impact visitors, we aim to create a sustainable tourism destination that will help preserve the UNESCO World Heritage Cultural Landscape of Kumano for future generations.
How can you help
We wish that you travel with a high standard of cultural and environmental sensitivity, as well as support the small local businesses as much as possible. Thank you for your much needed cooperation in helping with our mission.
Sacred Kumano Pamphlet
Japanese & English Bilingual
Introduces the Kumano area focusing on Tanabe
Printed August 2007
3 double sided A4 size pages
PDF file: Downloadable as 6 separate A4 pages
Awards & Accolades
● Japan Tourism Agency Commissioner Award 2018
● Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2018, Top Region
● Featured Case Study at UNWTO 2nd International Conference on Rural Tourism, 2017
● Cabinet Office Cool Japan Ambassador, 2017
● Long-listed for World Responsible Tourism Award, Best Cultural Heritage Attraction, 2015
● World Travel and Tourism Council, Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, Destination Stewardship Finalist, 2012
● Wakayama Prefecture Tourism Merit Award, 2012
● Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Regional Development Award, 2010
● JTB Culture Exchange Award - Excellence Prize, 2009
● Yomiuri Shimbun 100 Landscapes of Heisei Sites Travel Itinerary Merit Award, 2009