2 day walks
There are many options for walking the Kumano Kodo Pilgrimage route. You can do a few minutes walk to a week long trek through the mountains. Walking times can vary depending on walking pace and rest times. Please give yourself lots of time to enjoy the mountains of Kumano safely. Also be prepared for rain, it is an area with lots of precipitation.
Takijiri-oji to Kumano Hongu Taisha
For this walk you will need to stay the first night in Tanabe. Then the next morning take the bus to Takijiri-oji to begin the walk.
- Bus from Tanabe or Shirahama to Takijiri-oji (timetable #1)
- Walk Takijiri-oji to Chikatsuyu-oji in Nakahechi town.
- (approx. 16 kms, walking time around 6 hours)
- Kumano Kodo (Takijiri-oji Takahara) Map
- Kumano Kodo (Takahara to Tsugizakura-oji) Map
- Overnight in Nakahechi area.
- Walk from Chikatsuyu-oji to Kumano Hongu Taisha (Beginning of walk is found on this link, Chikatsuyu to Tsugizakura)
- (approx. 24 kms, walking time around 8 hours)
- Kumano Kodo (Tsugizakura-oji to Hosshinmon-oji) Map
- Kumano Kodo (Hosshinmon-oji to Kumano Hongu Taisha) Map
- Overnight in Hongu area (Hongu, Yunomine Onsen, Kawayu Onsen, Wataze Onsen)
* Buses stop at Chikatsuyu-oji, so you can choose to do one or both days walk.
※ It is best to stay the night in Tanabe before your walk, or stay in Takahara for the first night, if you are planning to come from Osaka or Kyoto. Even if you take the earliest train and bus from Osaka or Kyoto, you will not have sufficient time to complete the entire walk from Takijiri to Chikatsuyu or Nonaka.
View details and book locally online.