Journey to Japan’s Spiritual Roots
The ancient Kumano region is nestled in the verdant mountains of Wakayama Prefecture—the spiritual heartland of Japan. Worshipped for centuries, this lush and rugged area has been considered the abode of the gods.
Walk the spiritual Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route, soak and relax in the healing waters of isolated onsen, dine on delicious local cuisine, interact with the friendly locals—what kind of adventures await you in this sacred land?
For over 1000 years, people from all levels of society, including retired emperors and aristocrats, have made the arduous pilgrimage to the sacred sites in Kumano. These pilgrims used a network of routes, now called the Kumano Kodo, which stretched across the mountainous Kii Peninsula, weaving its way through remote villages and forests on a mixture of well-trodden trails and ancient cobblestone paths.
News ＆ Stories
OBAKO-TOGE PASS DETOUR (Kohechi)
Due to landslides caused by recent heavy rainstorms, a detour has been put in place as of May 28, 2021, until further notice near the Obako-toge Pass on the Kumano Kodo Kohechi Route between Obako-toge Pass and Uenishi Residence remains. Obako-toge Pass is located between the settlements of Omata and Miura-guchi.
SHIOMI-TOGE PASS CLOSURE (Tanabe City)
As of June 2, 2021, a landslide has closed the trail until further notice near Shiomi-toge Pass on the Kumano Kodo Nagao-zaka Route between Nejiki-no-sugi and Shiomi-toge Pass. The Kumano Kodo stamp for Shiomi-toge Pass has been temporarily moved to the KUMANO KODO KAN Pilgrimage Centerat Takijiri-oji.
For more information regarding Detours and Closures and other Kumano Kodo Tips & Safety information.
Are you a foreign resident living in Japan?
Are you looking for a way to support a rural community and get a great discount on travel?
If so then use the Go To Travel Campaign and the KUMANO TRAVEL Community Reservation System!
Look for the price plans at accommodations with (Go To Travel Discount Plan)
More information >>
Please check your country's official travel advisories for the most updated information in order to make the most aware decision about your travel plans, and take adequate precaution for your journey.
- News & UpdatesPreserving Japan’s Ancient Kumano Kodo Pilgrimage Network Crowdfunding Campaign (Oct~Dec, 2020) The tangible and intangible benefits of Japan’s Kumano Kodo pilgrimage experien...
- News & UpdatesGo To Travel Discount Campaign For Foreigners Living in Japan Go To Travel Campaign Go To Travel is discount campaign to encourage domesti...
- Festivals & EventsVISIT, POST & GET! Join the fun with our original-sticker-social-media-event of the millennia! (we...
- News & UpdatesTemporary Closures List — As of January 22, 2021 (Fri） Because of the current Covid-19 situation there are unscheduled closures and ch...
- News & UpdatesThe World is One. We are the Same. “The world is one. We are the same”, has been an integral experience for people...
- Hints & TipsDealing with Garbage on the Trail What do we do with our trash, Mike? I don't know where to throw it away? I g...
- Hints & TipsKumano Kodo Trekking Backpack Contents What’s in My Bag? Hi, I’m Mike, a resident and local guide for the Kumano Ko...
- Media & Accolades2020 Hometown Development Grand Prize Award Winner We are thrilled to announce that the Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau has been...
- Places & StoriesCreating a New Model of Grassroots Community-based Tourism in the Sacred Region of Kumano Interview of Brad Towle for the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sacred Kum...
- Media & AccoladesJapan Tourism Awards 2019-Double Award Winner The Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau is proud to announce that we were honored...
Official Community Reservation System
KUMANO TRAVEL is the official community reservation system for the region, an international award-winning new model of grassroots tourism development. By making reservations locally with KUMANO TRAVEL you are directly supporting our community.
Over 1000 Years’ Experience, Quality Personal Service, Intimate Knowledge, Locally Owned & Operated, Travelers’ Safety Net, Responsible & Sustainable, Freedom to Discover, Secure Booking, Onsite Travel Support Center…
One of the most progressive tourism outfits in all Japan. [Lonely Planet]
Amazing resource of information! We couldn’t have planned the trip without it. [Guest]