Sacred KumanoThe ancient Kumano region is nestled in the verdant mountains of Wakayama Prefecture — the spiritual heartland of Japan. This lush and rugged area has been considered the abode of the gods and worshipped for centuries.
Walk the spiritual Kumano Kodo pilgrimage route, soak and relax in the healing waters of an isolated Onsen, dine on delicious local cuisine, interact with the friendly locals; What kind of adventures are waiting for you?
- KOYASAN to KURISGAWA (transfer to Hongu) Limited Bus Service
- NEW--KOYASAN to/from KIX Direct Express Bus
- Wakayama Kumano Bus Pass
- Tanabe City's grassroots tourism initiative featured in CNN.
- Self-guided Kumano Kodo village to village trek itineraries.
- Kumano Kodo luggage shuttle overview.
- Convenient guidebook for when you are feeling ill while travelling in Japan. PDF >>
What is Kumano Travel?
Kumano Travel is the official reservation system of the Tanabe City/Kumano Region, Japan.
It is a local, community-based initiative created to supply visitors with quality information, services, and products so they can fully experience travelling in the area.
With the strong support of local stakeholders and travellers alike, we are working towards our goal of creating a high quality, sustainable destination open to the world.
Why Book with Kumano Travel?
When booking with Kumano Travel you are directly supporting the local community.
- Quality Personal Service
- Intimate Knowledge
- Locally Owned & Operated
- Responsible & Sustainable
- Freedom to Discover
- Secure Booking
Model Itineraries are sample travel plans to help you organize your trip.
You can use them as they are, adjust them to your needs, or contact us to create a personalized tour. The choice is yours!
We help you do the organizing, so you have more time and freedom to discover.
Tours & Activities
Joining a tour or activity is great way to see the region from a different perspective.
- Traditional Boat Tour
- Jet Boat Gorge Tour
- Kushimoto Marine Park
- Sightseeing Bus Tour
- Pilgrimage Kimono Experience
- English Speaking Guides
- Whale Watching
- Log Rafting in Dorokyo Gorge (Ikada-kudari)