Bear sightings on Kumano Kodo Kohechi near Totsukawa
Totsukawa Village reported sightings of Asiatic black bears on June 18, 2022, at the Nishinaka-otani-bashi bridge which is near the Kumano Kodo Kohechi trailhead between Totsukawa Onsen and Miura-guchi.
Avoid bears if possible, but if you encounter one, stay calm, do not run, make yourself seem bigger if possible, and make a lot of noise with your voice, by clapping, etc.
Report any signs (like footprints) or sightings to your inn or to the Totsukawa Village office at 0746-62-0004 (Japanese only).
Yunomine Onsen Public Bath will reopen Saturday, April 23, 2022, after two years of renovation work.
The ticket machine for the UNESCO World Heritage onsen bath "Tsuboyu" will be relocated to the Public Bath ticket booth in the center of town near Toko-ji Temple.
Yunomine Onsen Public Bath information.
The Ogumotori-goe Route is open from March 9, 2022.
The detour at Ishikura-toge Pass has ended.
Please follow the original path and not the detour listed in some versions of the KUMANO KODO NAKAHECHI Pilgrimage Route Maps, p. 18.
Notice of Temporary Closure
Due to temporary closure of the KUMANO TRAVEL Travel Support Center as of Friday, April 1, 2022,last minute travel arrangements such as accommodation, luggage transport, will now be available at the TANABE Tourist Information Center next to JR Kii-Tanabe Station.
For more information about this:
- Hints & TipsEat & DrinkFinding Vegetarian & Vegan Options along the Kumano Kodo For many, dining at inns along the Kumano Kodo Nakahechi pilgrimage route i...
- News & UpdatesEat & DrinkKumano Restaurants Awarded Michelin Status! For the first time ever, Wakayama prefecture in Japan was included in The Miche...
- News & UpdatesMedia & AccoladesKumano Kodo Guide Training Nurtures Local Resources As part of its ongoing mission to develop local guides and resources for the UN...
- News & UpdatesPreserving Japan’s Ancient Kumano Kodo Pilgrimage Network Crowdfunding Campaign (Oct~Dec, 2020) The tangible and intangible benefits of Japan’s Kumano Kodo pilgrimage experien...
- News & UpdatesGo To Travel Discount Campaign For Foreigners Living in Japan Go To Travel Campaign Go To Travel is discount campaign to encourage domesti...
- News & UpdatesThe World is One. We are the Same. “The world is one. We are the same”, has been an integral experience for people...
- Hints & TipsDealing with Garbage on the Trail What do we do with our trash, Mike? I don't know where to throw it away? I g...
- Hints & TipsKumano Kodo Trekking Backpack Contents What’s in My Bag? Hi, I’m Mike, a resident and local guide for the Kumano Ko...
- Media & Accolades2020 Hometown Development Grand Prize Award Winner We are thrilled to announce that the Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau has been...
- Places & StoriesCreating a New Model of Grassroots Community-based Tourism in the Sacred Region of Kumano Interview of Brad Towle for the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Sacred Kum...
- Media & AccoladesJapan Tourism Awards 2019-Double Award Winner The Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau is proud to announce that we were honored...
One of the most progressive tourism outfits in all Japan. [Lonely Planet]
Amazing resource of information! We couldn’t have planned the trip without it. [Guest]